Today, Luke and Alex lead our first interview with a Band Director Dr. Michael Mapp on forming your own musical opinion. His answer to Luke’s question about what our education is lacking hits home in more than one way. What are you bringing to the music that you conduct and how are you leading your ensembles? We cover directing different age groups, the experience of score study, and what our education is lacking.
This week we discuss:
- Today’s Guest-Host
- Keeping Expectations Universal
- Building Respect and Authority as a Student Conductor
- The “Feedback-loop” and Aural Image
- Advice for conducting outside of your discipline
- Carlos Kleiber
- Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla
- Apo Hsu
- What Music Education Lacks
- The experience of score study
- On tradition and interpretation
- “On Love” by Dan Macintosh
- Mapp’s Billboard
Connect with us on Facebook,Twitter, and Instagram at @PodiumTimePod, and continue the conversation in our Facebook Group, the Podium Time Inner Circle. If you’d like to support the podcast monetarily and get bonus content, consider joining our Patreon community at Patreon.com/PodiumTimePod.