Today we talk with conductor Damien Crutcher, Co-Founder and CEO of Crescendo Detroit, about how he adapted the best parts of El Sistema to make a difference in his community and how you can engage your students in a deeper way through collaborations between educators and performers.
This week we discuss:
- 00:51 Damien’s work with the Detroit Symphony, and how he’s building a program to get an instrument in the hands of any kid who wants one
- 12:49 How Damien adapted the best parts of El Sistema to make a difference in his community through Crescendo Detroit
- 24:50 How to enhance the impact of music education by incorporating performance-focused guest teachers and showing young musicians what is possible
- 40:05 And Introduction to H. Robert Reynolds, the Dean of Wind Band Conductors, and how he brought Damien to the next level as a conductor and musician
- 52:55 Detroit Style Pizza, and all the best places to eat in the city
- 57:42Hidden Gems and Final Advice
Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at @PodiumTimePod, and continue the conversation in our Facebook Group, the Podium Time Inner Circle. Want to send us an email? Use the contact page on our website! If you’d like to support the podcast monetarily and get bonus content, consider joining our Patreon community at Patreon.com/PodiumTimePod. If you’re in the market for a new baton, use our promo code “PodiumTime” at Pagubatons.com for 20% off your first order.