Today we sat down to talk with Maestro Nick Carthy, who’s traveling the world as you read this! Maestro Nick is the opera conductor at CU Boulder as well as a regular guest conductor around the globe. He shares with us his incredible line of teachers, tips for entering the opera field, why Powder Her Face is a masterpiece, and our futures as conductors.
This week we discuss:
- Nick Carthy with Karajan, Barenboim, and Solti
- Watching Maazel
- Carthy’s path to the podium
- What you learn conducting opera
- Score Study shortcomings and trends
- Tips for entering the opera field
- First three operas to learn and why
- Interviews with Vishwa
- On Powder Her Face
- Carthy’s Billboard
Connect with us on Facebook,Twitter, and Instagram at @PodiumTimePod, and continue the conversation in our Facebook Group, the Podium Time Inner Circle. If you’d like to support the podcast monetarily and get bonus content, consider joining our Patreon community at Patreon.com/PodiumTimePod.