The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Home Alone, Fantasia, E. T., The Godfather. We see headlines like these on symphony seasons more and more often, but what is it actually like to conduct one? Today Luke and I sit down with Benjamin Rous to talk about the least forgiving soloist: film! We discuss the specifics of working with these pieces, some of the biggest challenges, and get philosophical on the intersection between artistry and recreation.
This week we discuss:
- Vocabulary and setup of accompanying scores
- Example video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gUBorYYeII
- Rehearsing with film
- The best films to accompany
- Conducting and playing with a click track
- Changing tempo with the click
- Creation vs. Recreation
- Tempo challenges in Film vs Ballet
Find out more about Benjamin Rous and contacting him on his website: BenjaminRous.com
Connect with us on Facebook,Twitter, and Instagram at @PodiumTimePod, and continue the conversation in our Facebook Group, the Podium Time Inner Circle. If you’d like to support the podcast monetarily and get bonus content, consider joining our Patreon community at Patreon.com/PodiumTimePod.