Just in time for Conducting Workshop season, today’s episode is a mini-masterclass on everything about workshops. Thomas Taylor Dickey has been to just about every one, and shares how to pick the right ones, apply for them, prepare for them, and learn as much as possible while you’re there. We also discuss some of his favorite masterclasses and the important differences between workshops in Europe and America.
This week we discuss:
- On applying to jobs and competitions
- Best lessons from Carl Topilow and Diane Wittry
- Advice for getting the most out of workshops
- What to consider when looking at workshops
- How workshops differ in Europe and America
- Dickey’s suggested workshops
- “Reading about Conducting is like Dancing about Architecture.”
- (For an interesting discussion on the origins of this quote, check out https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/11/08/writing-about-music/
- Keeping up with pop culture
- Some hidden gems
Connect with us on Facebook,Twitter, and Instagram at @PodiumTimePod, and continue the conversation in our Facebook Group, the Podium Time Inner Circle. If you’d like to support the podcast monetarily and get bonus content, consider joining our Patreon community at Patreon.com/PodiumTimePod.